The Cannone da 90/53 (in-game: 90mm Anti-Tank Position) was an Italian designed cannon, and one of the most successful anti-aircraft guns to see service during World War II. It was used both in an anti-aircraft role and as an anti-tank gun. The designation "90/53" meant that the gun had a 90 mm caliber and a barrel 53 caliber-lengths long.
This bunker is one of the best in the game (possibly why Italy only has one defense), so placing a few of these with the right amount of troops can mean a very superior defense. Its AA is capable of strattling a few early enemy birds but will need extra support when opponents start to use advanced fighters/bombers. Infantry support is also necessary.A recon is useful too for the bunker to fire early when tanks and airplanes are out of attacking range.
The Cannone da 90/53 was designed by Ansaldo, the first examples being produced in 1939. The original plan was for the gun to be manufactured in three variants:
- The modello 41P was for static emplacement; 1087 were ordered
- The modello 41C was to be towed; 660 were ordered
- 57 were ordered to be mounted on heavy trucks designated Autocannoni da 90/53
However Italian industry was not up to producing these quantities and by the end of production in July 1943 only 539 guns had been delivered, including 48 converted for use on the Semovente 90/53 heavy tank destroyer.
After Italy surrendered, guns captured by Germany forces were designated 9cm FlaK 41(i) or 9cm FlaK 309/1(i). Some of these guns were used for the air defence of Germany while others were kept in Italy.
Pros & Cons
+By the logic it is in a position, it has more health than the 90/53, but is always visible.
+/-A standard 90/53 will do the same dps on all targets but being able to move and support other units.
Heavy AA gun
Large cal. AP shell
- if you look at the unit portrait, there are two cannons instead of just one 90mm cannon
- Wikipedia: Cannone da 90/53
- Semovente - A tank destroyer employing the Cannone da 90/53 gun
- AA 90mm - An AT and AA gun with the same range and firepower as this bunker